Saturday, January 12, 2013

Cake Creations


I am not a baker...by any means, but I can usually figure things out in the kitchen. However, planning a surprise get together for a friend's birthday of course means a birthday cake! I thought of a cookie cake at first from Nestle Toll House, but then I thought, our budget is tight right after the holidays, what if I make a cake? I have made plenty of cakes growing up, even homemade icing (grandma's recipe), but never a from scratch cake, it's always been a box mix. So when I asked this friend's husband her favorite cake, he of course said Red Velvet Cake. Now I am red velvet cake lover, but I've never made one...so I was SCARED. First to make a cake I've never made, then to make a cake from scratch. I didn't even realize they sold box mixes for red velvet cake, but they do! However, I started this adventure wanting to make it from scratch...so I did!

First, I wanted to get a good red velvet recipe, so I searched online and found a few, but reviews were mixed, so I remembered a friend having a red velvet recipe on her blog. I went and searched her blog and found a recipe for a Red Velvet cheesecake, which seemed way too much, too. Again, never made a cheesecake, didn't want to take on a cheesecake, red velvet cake, and a cake from scratch all at once.

So I used the recipe on this site, minus, the cheesecake part, but it might be a good recipe to try, now that I have the red velvet under my belt.


Red Velvet Cheesecake

Here is a little snap shot of what I did today:

Ingredients and recipe ready

with flash

Cake batter ready to go in the over


Icing ingredients (cream cheese and butter already creamed together a little bit)

making Cream Cheese icing 

final product (very yummy!)

leveling one layer

cooling

silly boy! point of this shot-to try and focus on the cake in front and fuzz out the background (I'm learning)

point of this shot-to try and focus on Andrew and fuzz out the stuff in front of him somewhat! (still learning)

Working on the Final Product: 

Paula Deen trick: Wax paper under the cake, then pull it out slowly after icing, to keep the cake plate clean!

layer 1

frosting

layer 2 

frosted


Pecans on top









Overall: Very successful first attempt at a home made, from scratch red velvet cake and cream cheese frosting! 



No comments:

Post a Comment